Remember, the Gospels
are still in the Old Testament doctrinally!
Gospels are not TO us!
However, there is still much within those Gospels FOR us!
Loved them unto the end!
- 1: Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
- We tend to bail out today:
- loved less
- become their enemy
- we can now do (Romans 8:8), but choose not to (Romans 6:11-22).
- fall back with / on grace. after all, all things are lawful
- ... or use it back us up when we try and fail, but keep getting up and trying again...
- horrible testimony - folks don't understand us and grace, etc.
- Philemon 6 and I Thessalonians 1:8-10
Into Judas' heart!
- 2: And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;
- Luke 8 - steals from the heart!
- heart is a deceitful & wicked thing...
- II Timothy 2:26 - And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
The Gospel 'issue' - Deity of Jesus!
- 3: Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
- 4: He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
- 5: After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
- 6: Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
- 7: Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
- See John 6:63 - words are spirit, not flesh... this is not to be a fleshy ritual today!
- 8: Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
- We must be washed by his blood!
- 9: Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
- 10: Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
- 11: For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.
- But our soul is - we are cut away from our flesh!
- 12: So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
- 13: Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
- 14: If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
- help others get their dirt off?
- help others out of the rocks?
- do they want help?
- willing to sacrifice to get out of the rocks?
- offend them?
- we are loved less?
- must help themselves eventually!
- with Biblical guidance and God's design for their rescue!
Explanation of foot washing illustration
- 15: For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
16: Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
- God, the Father; to Son; to Holy Ghost; to Apostles; to Paul; to KJB; to Pastor; to friend!
- 17: If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
- remember, words are spirit - He wasn't telling us to wash each others feet!
- 18: I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.
- "Heel" - see Genesis 3:15 - he must hurt his heel as he tries to stomp on Jesus.
- "Scripture must be fulfilled" - that is the way it is today, too. With what we see going on, scripture must be fulfilled, so keep your seatbelt on! Soon it will snap off and away we go!!!
The Gospel 'issue' again!
- 19: Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.
Passed on to us...!
- 20: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.
- Jesus - Apostles - Paul - KJB - Pastors, etc. friend
Troubled because of the betrayal!
- 21: When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
- John 12:27 - Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.
- 22: Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.
- 23: Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
- 24: Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
- 25: He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
- 26: Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
- 27: And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.
- 28: Now no man at the table knew for what intent he spake this unto him.
- 29: For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.
- 30: He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night.
- things of the night are being allowed in the "day" these days - more and more
- 31: Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
- 32: If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
- Do we glorify God with Paul's manner of life or the frustrations - continuing life without change, etc.
- willing to suffer reproach, affliction?
- say no to the flesh?
- challened on practicality of walking the Risen Christ way?
- maintain your 'changes' to become your manner of life, etc.?
- take the hassles and challenges with joy, peace, etc.?
Said unto the Jews!
- 33: Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
A new commandment!
- 34: A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
- 35: By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
- Gospel consequences
- John 13:35 - By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
- Tribulational consequence.
- I John 2:9 - He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
- I John 2:11 - But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.
- Paul says it is important, too, but not the same!
- Romans 12:10 - Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
- Romans 13:8 - Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
- Galatians 5:13 - For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
- Ephesians 4:2 - With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
- I Thessalonians 3:12 - And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:
- I Thessalonians 4:9 - But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
I will lay down my life for 'thy' sake!
- 36: Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.
- 37: Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake.
- 38: Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.
- Ya, right - we struggle to learn to live following Paul - and we are covered 100% by grace!