Creates a False Church
Reading from VOICE, An Independent Church Journal / July/August 2007, typical of the tons of mail I receive about church programs, etc., I noticed an article that supported the Antioch church to be the model church for an Independent Church. Pages 7-10, written by Les Lofquist, executive director.
This 'strategy' was originated by the Slavic Gospel Association - A Russian ministry.I can see where this Antioch church model concept sure does fit the pattern of the false teachings that are running rampant today in our churches - and in this case, the Independent Local Church, many of which pride themselves in their Biblical approach.
Knowing what we know about the so-called Great Commission being taught in church after church - and in modern Bible study program after Bible study program, to the point where other than the title of the group, they are all teaching pretty much the same thing - the teachings of Jesus through the gospels and early Acts! ... Knowing the placement of the Great Commission in the Bible and TO whom the commission was given! ... Knowing the absolute rejection today of any of Paul's teachings / Epistles by what seems to be by just about everyone - even in the Independent Baptist churches, other than a few special verses that everyone likes to use to show God's grace as the preachers put the guilt on to the people... Knowing the hatred 'all' people have towards the KJ 1611 Bible. They can not and will not see it as a final authority with grace that it is! They see 'gain' and the teachings of their 'local church' as their final authority!
It is taught in the Antioch Initiative that the church in Antioch is the first Gentile church presented in the New Testament, thus this is the church that is our model church for us today!
Antioch is our model for today, he claims!
In this article, Mr. Lofquist goes verse by verse and shows that these are things that are to happen in our churches today - and to not do so, will prove that your church needs to consider the Antioch church for it's pattern - it's manner of life!
The Beginning - Cornelius
It is started with Cornelius 'getting saved.' Acts 10:43-48
Read it all!
I encourage you to read Acts 10-19 to see the details of this church if it should be our 'model' or not.
Keep in mind...
As you read, keep in mind, I Corinthians 13:8-12, but especially verse 10 - But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. Once again, we see the seriousness and importance of the King James 1611 Bible. It is the key to the solution of this confusion of which church, if any, should be our model today.
Reading Acts 10-19, this is what you will find in detail:
Galatians written around Acts 15
- The work of the Holy Spirit.
- on it's own conviction and convincing plan.
- truly the work of the Holy Spirit, no doubt,
- but of course, there is no KJB yet!
- Remission of sins
- totally a Great Commission teaching being carried on - See Luke 24:45-49; Acts 2:38, etc.
- Baptism following salvation
- Acts 10:44-48
- however, the Holy Ghost fell on them as they heard the word
- Acts 19:1-6
- not receiving the Holy Ghost until after the baptism and by Paul's own hands, too! (vs 6)
- Acts 8:37
- that is not our model for salvation today - that was a gospel belief - believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
- Receiving the word of God
- of course, but remember, still no Bible as of yet. See where I Corinthians 13:10 fits in?
- Peter is the main character
- Saul and Barnabas are secondary at first
- Galatians 2:7,8- But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
- Peter, with John, are told to 'feed the sheep,' meaning the Jews as the sheep.
- "Christian' word first used - Acts 11:26
- ...as describing those who 'follow Jesus.'
- Just as the Great Commission says in Matthew 28:19,20; Mark 16:15-20, following Jesus' teachings.
- Christians today are to follow Jesus' teachings as He taught to Paul! Why is that so hard for folks, anyway. Man!!!!!
- Obedience as the goal of Bible teaching
- obedience to what?
- Word of God?
- Pastor / Teacher / Professor?
- no mention of obedience to anything
- Paul mentions obedience to faith and of faith, but not until well past the Antioch church - Romans 1:5; Romans 16:26
- Worship God
- Paul reminds them that they can not worship God as they were... Acts 17:24,25
- Pentecostal Talk - Charismatic flavour - modern tv evangelistic programs, etc.
- all talking like this more and more!
- Acts 16:18
- "I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!
- Acts 13:1-3; 14:23
- Fasting with results
- power of prayer
- laying on of hands
- Having faith to be healed
- Acts 14:9
- False teachers teaching confusion
- now that, I can agree with - they are doing a great job of confusing folks that don't know how to rightly divide!
- Church interdependence
- no liberty and church independence - in fact, from many of the brethren, we are to note them, and have no company with him, based on Paul's doctrine, too! .II Thessalonians 3:14
- Word of God as given to Paul and Barnabas
- I Corinthians 13:10 comes into play here - AGAIN!
- Ordaining Elders
- Acts 14:23
- Miracles and wonders - even that the Gentiles see!
- Acts 15:12; 19:11,12
- They even had contention
- Acts 15:39
- Paul sees vision
- Acts 16:9,10
Last Mention of Antioch church
- Jews involvement still going on
- the law was still an issue
- Acts 17:5
- Acts 17:17 - disputing with the Jews, and others...
- They even thought they had killed Paul
- Acts 14:19,20So, it is stated that this all came from the Antioch church - the 'mother church.'
In their own article, they make mention that Acts 18:22 is the LAST mention of the Antioch Church. They also admit that Ephesus gradually becomes the more important church Acts 19:10; 20:31 for 2 - 3 years, he talked with them On to 'Gentiles only' more and more! Acts 18:7, but also 13:46 - a slow turning to the Gentiles. Paul was in no hurry to leave the Jews. Romans 10:1; Acts 28:29-31They would hope to see the Antioch Church 'strategy' grow in America. Do I see apostolic succession concept here? Mother church as the holy church? Baptist Briders?Watch the transition through Acts - and watch how the early stuff does NOT match Paul's gospel, and it must match, right? Sure - as the Great Commission is doing, the Antioch Initiative is just adding to the obvious preparations today for the Anti-"Christ" to come in the name of Jesus' teachings!...Or - see the entire thing make sense for THEN, but NOT TO us TODAY! Galatians 1:8,9 II Corinthians 11:1-4The Model Church is the 'design' set forth in Ephesians 4:11-16; See I Corinthians 13:8-12 The King James Bible from 1611 to us today! and then all the verses that Paul talks about doing what he has taught us to do!
We are to follow Paul - NOT Peter!
Certainly, the Antioch church is NOT our model church for today!
We are to go beyond Paul - beyond preaching - beyond the local church!
We must go to the King James Bible!
I Corinthians 4:16 - Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
Philippians 4:9 - Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
I Corinthians 4:17 - For this cause have I sent unto you Timothy, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.
I Corinthians 11:1 - Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
Philippians 3:17 - Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
I Thessalonians 1:6 - And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:
II Thessalonians 3:7 - For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;
II Thessalonians 3:9 - Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
I Timothy 6:11 - But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
II Timothy 2:22 - Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Colossians 2:2 - That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
Romans 2:16 - In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Romans 16:25 - Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
If you want a local church, then look to Ephesians 4:11-16
but you will have to look hard for those little churches.
They even just be in homes, etc.
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive. But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.